Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
On Reason

khristofer
4/21/2006     
Member Gabby asked that I post my research paper for all to read, I'm a philosophy student when I'm not munging around with computers as a systems administrator.

This paper is on reason, obviously hence the title, as described by David Hume. That's not very descriptive, so let me explain - no there is too much, let me sum up. Philosophers prior to the sixteenth century believed there existed two natures within the Human understanding, passion and reason. These passions were locked into battle, with every philosopher declaring that reason was every bit superiour, cold and calculating, it was everything that humanity needed to survive, if only we could get past those pesky passions. Hume disagrees, and shows quite readily - though his philosophy is not perfect - that the reason is an inert mechanism called up by the passions to find meaning in the experience we find ourselves in.

If you're interested, read on: On Reason.

Post #13507 Back to top ▲
4/21/2006

khristofer
Gabby asked that I post my research paper for all to read, I'm a philosophy student when I'm not munging around with computers as a systems administrator.

This paper is on reason, obviously hence the title, as described by David Hume. That's not very descriptive, so let me explain - no there is too much, let me sum up. Philosophers prior to the sixteenth century believed there existed two natures within the Human understanding, passion and reason. These passions were locked into battle, with every philosopher declaring that reason was every bit superiour, cold and calculating, it was everything that humanity needed to survive, if only we could get past those pesky passions. Hume disagrees, and shows quite readily - though his philosophy is not perfect - that the reason is an inert mechanism called up by the passions to find meaning in the experience we find ourselves in.

If you're interested, read on: On Reason.

Post #13507
khristofer
4/22/2006     
Member Gabby:

You're welcome! It's a bit long, but that's actually on the short side of what I was expected to write.

Post #759642 Back to top ▲
4/22/2006

khristofer
Gabby:

You're welcome! It's a bit long, but that's actually on the short side of what I was expected to write.

Post #759642
Columns Display
Show/Hide Columns and Drag the Icon to Reorder
Show rows with value thatAndClear
Export
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna, CarelessWhisper
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by our terms of use, privacy policy and our use of cookies.
©2001-2018 The Pork Community Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Designed, developed and maintained by Cradz.
This site is for adults who wish to chat anonymously with like minded grown ups. There is no advertising, basic membership to this chat site is free and our chat is old school internet 1.0 style free chat rooms. Chat online with people from all walks of life today!