Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Depression... has anyone ever....?

~tonic*
11/18/2004     
Member These questions may have been asked in a thread long long ago, but I didn't see them and I really don't feel like looking through pages and pages hoping to find the answer.

Has anyone ever felt alone, while being the center of attention? Felt like, something didn't fit right?
Has anyone ever felt like no one can hear you, even though it feels as though you’re shouting from the inside? And the louder you seem to shout, the less you feel whole?

I guess what I’m doing is asking some questions because I’ve been pretty out of it lately. Not just online in the chat rooms, at least not to a point that anyone would notice in here. Then again, I feel as though no one really notices me, not just in chat, but in the reality that is called my life. And I want to know, is this normal? Is it normal to feel bad, and not have anything to feel bad about? I know a bit about depression, and chemical imbalances, but can that really be the case in my instance? I get to feeling sad, and then I’ll sit back to think about what I really feel sad about, and I draw a complete blank, then I get to feeling guilty because I don’t have a bad life, and I have no real reason to feel so down. Everyday I feel like an empty shell going through the motions and hoping no one will call me on it, I feel as though I’m faking at living. That I have all that I need, but I’m disconnected from it somehow. Am I alone in this feeling? Does anyone else feel this way and is there anything I can do besides medicine (i.e. Zoloft, Prozac, etc.) to help me through this? Or is this something that will pass me by if I’m just patient?

Thanks, for… anything.

Post #5952 Back to top ▲
11/18/2004

~tonic*
These questions may have been asked in a thread long long ago, but I didn't see them and I really don't feel like looking through pages and pages hoping to find the answer.

Has anyone ever felt alone, while being the center of attention? Felt like, something didn't fit right?
Has anyone ever felt like no one can hear you, even though it feels as though you’re shouting from the inside? And the louder you seem to shout, the less you feel whole?

I guess what I’m doing is asking some questions because I’ve been pretty out of it lately. Not just online in the chat rooms, at least not to a point that anyone would notice in here. Then again, I feel as though no one really notices me, not just in chat, but in the reality that is called my life. And I want to know, is this normal? Is it normal to feel bad, and not have anything to feel bad about? I know a bit about depression, and chemical imbalances, but can that really be the case in my instance? I get to feeling sad, and then I’ll sit back to think about what I really feel sad about, and I draw a complete blank, then I get to feeling guilty because I don’t have a bad life, and I have no real reason to feel so down. Everyday I feel like an empty shell going through the motions and hoping no one will call me on it, I feel as though I’m faking at living. That I have all that I need, but I’m disconnected from it somehow. Am I alone in this feeling? Does anyone else feel this way and is there anything I can do besides medicine (i.e. Zoloft, Prozac, etc.) to help me through this? Or is this something that will pass me by if I’m just patient?

Thanks, for… anything.

Post #5952
Sarah
11/18/2004     
Member Clinical Depression doesn't have any quick fixes, despite the hype surrounding the medications to treat the problem.

One very good tool we use with all our patients is some form of counseling. Psychiatrists, Psychologist, Social Worker Therapist...even a support group.
Now this alone might not work for you, you might need medication therapy as well. Diet and exercise can also influence how you feel.

Depression is more common than you think. It is treatable and you aren't alone.

You should contact your primary physician and be truthful and honest.
Make sure you are in agreement with the course of treatment chosen for you and you are comfortable with the providers.
We often have to move clients to other mental heath providers because the "fit" might not be right.

Be proactive in your own life.

This message was edited by Sarah on 11-18-04 @ 4:09 PM
Post #696320 Back to top ▲
11/18/2004

Sarah
Clinical Depression doesn't have any quick fixes, despite the hype surrounding the medications to treat the problem.

One very good tool we use with all our patients is some form of counseling. Psychiatrists, Psychologist, Social Worker Therapist...even a support group.
Now this alone might not work for you, you might need medication therapy as well. Diet and exercise can also influence how you feel.

Depression is more common than you think. It is treatable and you aren't alone.

You should contact your primary physician and be truthful and honest.
Make sure you are in agreement with the course of treatment chosen for you and you are comfortable with the providers.
We often have to move clients to other mental heath providers because the "fit" might not be right.

Be proactive in your own life.

This message was edited by Sarah on 11-18-04 @ 4:09 PM
Post #696320
Sarah
11/18/2004     
Member Zanny...just as no one can feel someone else's degree of pain and what may be excruitiating to someone may be of no consequence to another...depression is the same.
Lets not do pop diagnosis.

Post #696323 Back to top ▲
11/18/2004

Sarah
Zanny...just as no one can feel someone else's degree of pain and what may be excruitiating to someone may be of no consequence to another...depression is the same.
Lets not do pop diagnosis.

Post #696323
catch22
11/19/2004     
*sneaks in and hugs her tight*

hey girlie, long time.

to answer your question, yep, felt depressed all the time when I was chatting fulltime at the park and letting my studies & social life fall to the wayside. some days were mild and others were more severe, and the driving force behind it was guilt - guilt that I was neglecting all the..... potential (for lack of a better word).... in real life for illusions. yet, the more guilty I felt, the more I ran back to chat to hide from my feelings. so, it was a vicious cycle that kept repeating itself until..... well, I think you know what happened. and then I HAD to change, and pick up the pieces of my life and move on.

as most ppl said, you have to take a proactive approach to remedying the situation. anti-depressants will only get you so far, and as soon as you get off of them, your old problems will return, sometimes worse than before. so, my suggestion is to get out and do something you enjoy - go to the gym, spend the day shopping (*G*... nothing beats retail therapy!!), or hang out at a yuppie coffeeshop and mingle with other 20-some-year-olds. it'll be hard at first, but in the long run it is definitely healthier for your mental wellbeing.

anyway, that's my take on things. my slant *s* hope you feel better soon.

love,
catch22

Post #696325 Back to top ▲
11/19/2004

catch22

*sneaks in and hugs her tight*

hey girlie, long time.

to answer your question, yep, felt depressed all the time when I was chatting fulltime at the park and letting my studies & social life fall to the wayside. some days were mild and others were more severe, and the driving force behind it was guilt - guilt that I was neglecting all the..... potential (for lack of a better word).... in real life for illusions. yet, the more guilty I felt, the more I ran back to chat to hide from my feelings. so, it was a vicious cycle that kept repeating itself until..... well, I think you know what happened. and then I HAD to change, and pick up the pieces of my life and move on.

as most ppl said, you have to take a proactive approach to remedying the situation. anti-depressants will only get you so far, and as soon as you get off of them, your old problems will return, sometimes worse than before. so, my suggestion is to get out and do something you enjoy - go to the gym, spend the day shopping (*G*... nothing beats retail therapy!!), or hang out at a yuppie coffeeshop and mingle with other 20-some-year-olds. it'll be hard at first, but in the long run it is definitely healthier for your mental wellbeing.

anyway, that's my take on things. my slant *s* hope you feel better soon.

love,
catch22

Post #696325
~tonic*
11/19/2004     
Member CATCH22... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOUNG LADY?

*hugs you tight* i know what you went through, and i understand. It's not like I haven't felt down before, I've just been feeling guilty about feeling down lately, because I shouldn't be this way. I don't have a lot to complain about.

Except the money. *laughing* so no shopping for me, and if my friends drank coffee that would be cool, as it is, it's video games and beer for us. *heh*

Anyhow, page me... i'll send you my new e-mail addy.
Post #696327 Back to top ▲
11/19/2004

~tonic*
CATCH22... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOUNG LADY?

*hugs you tight* i know what you went through, and i understand. It's not like I haven't felt down before, I've just been feeling guilty about feeling down lately, because I shouldn't be this way. I don't have a lot to complain about.

Except the money. *laughing* so no shopping for me, and if my friends drank coffee that would be cool, as it is, it's video games and beer for us. *heh*

Anyhow, page me... i'll send you my new e-mail addy.
Post #696327
~tonic*
11/21/2004     
Member NastyAssBoy7777

You have your right to your opinion. I didn't do this for attention, I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't alone in this feeling. Not everything is so simple to put into one catagory. And that's because people are a bit more complexed then you would like to believe.

I didn't get on here to get answers, or attention. I asked because I wanted to know that I'm not alone in my feelings. There are different options for everyone out there, there's nothing wrong in asking about them, that's how people learn and grow, that's what living is about.

You don't know me, and probably not a lot of other people because of your sour disposition. Of course this is all your opinion, and you're definately entitled to it, but for future reference don't use up your energy to tell me what you think, since after this post I'm not going to bother with you.

To everyone else who has posted with advice, and to let me know that I'm not alone, thank you. *smiles* it's nice to know that people do care out there. And for those that haven't posted and have chosen to seek me out because you all are good friends of mine, and know that I'm not an attention "woe is me," I doubly thank you. I know I can get through this, it's just going to take time, and thanks for being patient.
Post #696331 Back to top ▲
11/21/2004

~tonic*
NastyAssBoy7777

You have your right to your opinion. I didn't do this for attention, I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't alone in this feeling. Not everything is so simple to put into one catagory. And that's because people are a bit more complexed then you would like to believe.

I didn't get on here to get answers, or attention. I asked because I wanted to know that I'm not alone in my feelings. There are different options for everyone out there, there's nothing wrong in asking about them, that's how people learn and grow, that's what living is about.

You don't know me, and probably not a lot of other people because of your sour disposition. Of course this is all your opinion, and you're definately entitled to it, but for future reference don't use up your energy to tell me what you think, since after this post I'm not going to bother with you.

To everyone else who has posted with advice, and to let me know that I'm not alone, thank you. *smiles* it's nice to know that people do care out there. And for those that haven't posted and have chosen to seek me out because you all are good friends of mine, and know that I'm not an attention "woe is me," I doubly thank you. I know I can get through this, it's just going to take time, and thanks for being patient.
Post #696331
Raziphel
11/21/2004     
Member hullo tonic. Smile

I can't speak for you specifically, but I can tell you what I went through. every situation is a little different, so use your head.

I'm not on meds, partly because I am deadset determined not to rely on some foreign substance to help me with life (aside from caffiene, and even that, not so much).

the biggest thing I can tell you to do is do something active with your time and take charge of your situation. I'm too busy to be depressed (with school, painting, photography, and stuff), and that really helps. keeps my mind on other things. it's a "I can choose to spend my time wallowing in self-pity, or I can choose to enjoy my life" thing. it's harsh to think about but I found, once it 'clicks' it's easy to do. not that I still don't get down every once in a while, but it's nowhere near the level it used to be, and it doesn't last as long.

go out, get some sunshine. excersize helps (I'm lazy though Tongue ). I like painting because it helps me vent some of those emotions and be productive. anything but laying around and moping.

and for goodness sake, don't ever consider suicide.

the biggest thing you can do to combat this is take charge of your life. don't rely solely on other people's actions (or meds). if someone prescribes meds, don't be afraid of a second opinion, because some docs will dose them out willy-nilly. YOU are the only person that can affect your life 100% of the time.

-J
Post #696333 Back to top ▲
11/21/2004

Raziphel
hullo tonic. Smile

I can't speak for you specifically, but I can tell you what I went through. every situation is a little different, so use your head.

I'm not on meds, partly because I am deadset determined not to rely on some foreign substance to help me with life (aside from caffiene, and even that, not so much).

the biggest thing I can tell you to do is do something active with your time and take charge of your situation. I'm too busy to be depressed (with school, painting, photography, and stuff), and that really helps. keeps my mind on other things. it's a "I can choose to spend my time wallowing in self-pity, or I can choose to enjoy my life" thing. it's harsh to think about but I found, once it 'clicks' it's easy to do. not that I still don't get down every once in a while, but it's nowhere near the level it used to be, and it doesn't last as long.

go out, get some sunshine. excersize helps (I'm lazy though Tongue ). I like painting because it helps me vent some of those emotions and be productive. anything but laying around and moping.

and for goodness sake, don't ever consider suicide.

the biggest thing you can do to combat this is take charge of your life. don't rely solely on other people's actions (or meds). if someone prescribes meds, don't be afraid of a second opinion, because some docs will dose them out willy-nilly. YOU are the only person that can affect your life 100% of the time.

-J
Post #696333
HOUSE_TROLL
4/3/2005     
Member CeNedra one of the truely horrid things about bipolar I'm learning is that those that suffer from it rarely see it in themselves, even after those around them do, doctors often treat bipolar first as depression because that is the only time that they are presented with the patient.

saddly no mater how much those that are close can see it, or know that "something" is wrong, with that loved one, but can't get them to get the help that they need,

When I came back from Iraq I had some serious undealt with issues, took me some years to be able to confront them, and yes during that time I suffered several boughts of serious depression, lucky for me my appendix nearly burst and I ended up in a VA hospital, which routinely screened vets of the gulf war for PSD and I got counciling and yes medication for a short while the meds helped me stablize enought for counciling to be effective (both from professonal and from a close friend who had been thier.

the meds didnt' last long (less then 6 months) mainly because I took the hand that was offered, and got amoungst people whom understood the experiance that was the root of the issues.

I guess what I'm saying is as much as loved ones can see the problem, ultimately if the person doesn't see it in themselves, except it, and get treatment, well things will eventually go very badly.

Post #696336 Back to top ▲
4/3/2005

HOUSE_TROLL
CeNedra one of the truely horrid things about bipolar I'm learning is that those that suffer from it rarely see it in themselves, even after those around them do, doctors often treat bipolar first as depression because that is the only time that they are presented with the patient.

saddly no mater how much those that are close can see it, or know that "something" is wrong, with that loved one, but can't get them to get the help that they need,

When I came back from Iraq I had some serious undealt with issues, took me some years to be able to confront them, and yes during that time I suffered several boughts of serious depression, lucky for me my appendix nearly burst and I ended up in a VA hospital, which routinely screened vets of the gulf war for PSD and I got counciling and yes medication for a short while the meds helped me stablize enought for counciling to be effective (both from professonal and from a close friend who had been thier.

the meds didnt' last long (less then 6 months) mainly because I took the hand that was offered, and got amoungst people whom understood the experiance that was the root of the issues.

I guess what I'm saying is as much as loved ones can see the problem, ultimately if the person doesn't see it in themselves, except it, and get treatment, well things will eventually go very badly.

Post #696336
Columns Display
Show/Hide Columns and Drag the Icon to Reorder
Show rows with value thatAndClear
Export
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna, CarelessWhisper
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by our terms of use, privacy policy and our use of cookies.
©2001-2018 The Pork Community Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Designed, developed and maintained by Cradz.
This site is for adults who wish to chat anonymously with like minded grown ups. There is no advertising, basic membership to this chat site is free and our chat is old school internet 1.0 style free chat rooms. Chat online with people from all walks of life today!