Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Australian Recipes

~grace~
4/4/2011     
Hi Aussies ~smiles~

I'm looking for some recipe advice for a party that I have coming up. What's a good Australian dish to serve about fifteen people?

I'm not sure what I'm serving yet, be it appetizer, side, main dish or dessert... please help me with some ideas.

Simple would be better, preferably something that can be prepared in advance, as there will be others in the kitchen that night too.

Thanks!

grace
Post #940219 Back to top ▲
4/4/2011

~grace~
Hi Aussies ~smiles~

I'm looking for some recipe advice for a party that I have coming up. What's a good Australian dish to serve about fifteen people?

I'm not sure what I'm serving yet, be it appetizer, side, main dish or dessert... please help me with some ideas.

Simple would be better, preferably something that can be prepared in advance, as there will be others in the kitchen that night too.

Thanks!

grace
Post #940219
Sab
4/4/2011     
Member My favourite Aussie dessert by far is the Pavlova. Created for the ballerina Anna Pavlova during her Australian visit. It's light and sweet. And simple to make

Note: You can always top with different fruit Smile This recipe is for a rather small one, but you can make 2
It's easy enough. The outside is crisp with a soft inside

--------------------

Ingredients (serves 6)

6 (59g) eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups (270g) caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
300ml thickened cream
2 tbs icing sugar mixture, sifted
Finely shredded rind and juice of 2 limes
2 Lady finger bananas, thinly sliced diagonally
3 golden kiwifruit, peeled, thinly sliced
2 starfruit, thinly sliced
Pulp of 2-3 passionfruit

Method

Preheat oven to 120°C. Line an oven tray with foil. Brush with melted butter and dust with cornflour, shaking off excess. Mark a 24cm-diameter circle on foil.

Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar dissolved. Rub a little meringue between fingers. If still "gritty" with sugar, continue to whisk until sugar dissolves. Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Spoon meringue onto the foil, using the marked circle as a guide. Smooth sides and top of pavlova. Use a small spatula to forms little peaks around edge of pavlova. Bake in oven for 1.5 hours or until pavlova is dry to the touch. Turn off oven. Leave pavlova in oven with the door ajar to cool completely. When completely cold, transfer to serving plate or store in an airtight container until required.

Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream and icing sugar in a medium bowl until firm peaks form. Spoon cream onto the top of pavlova. Pour lime juice into a ceramic or glass bowl. Add banana slices and toss to coat with juice. Drain. Decorate pavlova with banana, kiwifruit, starfruit, passionfruit and lime rind.

Post #940226 Back to top ▲
4/4/2011

Sab
My favourite Aussie dessert by far is the Pavlova. Created for the ballerina Anna Pavlova during her Australian visit. It's light and sweet. And simple to make

Note: You can always top with different fruit Smile This recipe is for a rather small one, but you can make 2
It's easy enough. The outside is crisp with a soft inside

--------------------

Ingredients (serves 6)

6 (59g) eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups (270g) caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
300ml thickened cream
2 tbs icing sugar mixture, sifted
Finely shredded rind and juice of 2 limes
2 Lady finger bananas, thinly sliced diagonally
3 golden kiwifruit, peeled, thinly sliced
2 starfruit, thinly sliced
Pulp of 2-3 passionfruit

Method

Preheat oven to 120°C. Line an oven tray with foil. Brush with melted butter and dust with cornflour, shaking off excess. Mark a 24cm-diameter circle on foil.

Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar dissolved. Rub a little meringue between fingers. If still "gritty" with sugar, continue to whisk until sugar dissolves. Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Spoon meringue onto the foil, using the marked circle as a guide. Smooth sides and top of pavlova. Use a small spatula to forms little peaks around edge of pavlova. Bake in oven for 1.5 hours or until pavlova is dry to the touch. Turn off oven. Leave pavlova in oven with the door ajar to cool completely. When completely cold, transfer to serving plate or store in an airtight container until required.

Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream and icing sugar in a medium bowl until firm peaks form. Spoon cream onto the top of pavlova. Pour lime juice into a ceramic or glass bowl. Add banana slices and toss to coat with juice. Drain. Decorate pavlova with banana, kiwifruit, starfruit, passionfruit and lime rind.

Post #940226
~grace~
4/4/2011     
Member Thanks for the links, {bron}ShadowWolf ~smiles~ I've gone through some of the recipes... had to google some ingredients ~laughs~

Ohhh, dessert is always appreciated by my friends and family, Sab ~grins~ I haven't done a meringue in years... and it'll make for a bit of trivia for my bff's hubby, if he doesn't already know the story behind it ~laughs~

Thanks, ladies ~smiles~
Post #940236 Back to top ▲
4/4/2011

~grace~
Thanks for the links, {bron}ShadowWolf ~smiles~ I've gone through some of the recipes... had to google some ingredients ~laughs~

Ohhh, dessert is always appreciated by my friends and family, Sab ~grins~ I haven't done a meringue in years... and it'll make for a bit of trivia for my bff's hubby, if he doesn't already know the story behind it ~laughs~

Thanks, ladies ~smiles~
Post #940236
Columns Display
Show/Hide Columns and Drag the Icon to Reorder
Show rows with value thatAndClear
Export
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna, CarelessWhisper
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by our terms of use, privacy policy and our use of cookies.
©2001-2018 The Pork Community Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Designed, developed and maintained by Cradz.
This site is for adults who wish to chat anonymously with like minded grown ups. There is no advertising, basic membership to this chat site is free and our chat is old school internet 1.0 style free chat rooms. Chat online with people from all walks of life today!