Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
What is time?

ImaDummy
8/6/2013     
Member I have a friend with whom I discuss the subject of time. Her position comes from more of a philosophical (metaphysical) point of view, while mine comes from more of a physical (physics/relativity) point of view. ergo, I am going to use this forum to post my thoughts as they progress, and I welcome anyone to share their thoughts on this subject. I would welcome new/alternate points of view so that I can better understand.

I look at time as a fundamental quality of space, along with height, width, and depth. (i.e. the three dimensions.) (this is where we get the concept of space/time) You cannot have something exist that has any one of the three dimensions equal zero, but also, nothing can exist that exists for zero time.

Also, you cannot have something that exists "forever" or any creature be "immortal". That would be just as inconceivable as something having infinite length.

I've heard theories that the past does not exist. It is only in memories or written records that we find reference to it. You could argue that the future also does not exist and that the only thing that DOES exist is the present. (which I refer to as the "now")

So, that's it for now. I will add more as my knowledge/theories progress. I just wanted to get this started so I can come to it and add ideas as they come to me.
Post #991068 Back to top ▲
8/6/2013

ImaDummy
I have a friend with whom I discuss the subject of time. Her position comes from more of a philosophical (metaphysical) point of view, while mine comes from more of a physical (physics/relativity) point of view. ergo, I am going to use this forum to post my thoughts as they progress, and I welcome anyone to share their thoughts on this subject. I would welcome new/alternate points of view so that I can better understand.

I look at time as a fundamental quality of space, along with height, width, and depth. (i.e. the three dimensions.) (this is where we get the concept of space/time) You cannot have something exist that has any one of the three dimensions equal zero, but also, nothing can exist that exists for zero time.

Also, you cannot have something that exists "forever" or any creature be "immortal". That would be just as inconceivable as something having infinite length.

I've heard theories that the past does not exist. It is only in memories or written records that we find reference to it. You could argue that the future also does not exist and that the only thing that DOES exist is the present. (which I refer to as the "now")

So, that's it for now. I will add more as my knowledge/theories progress. I just wanted to get this started so I can come to it and add ideas as they come to me.
Post #991068
ImaDummy
11/2/2013     
Member From a physics point of view:

Time cannot be considered alone, but only with the three dimensions of space. Likewise, space cannot be considered without including time. (i.e. spacetime)

It takes time for light to travel over any finite distance. When you look at something, it takes time for light to travel from that thing to your eyes. So, what you see is not what they look like “now”, but rather what they looked like (at some point in the past) when the light left that object to go to you. In the case of a star, it may be years, or if it is the person standing next to you, it may be nanoseconds, but the time is not zero.

Each particle or set of particles (distinct in space) constitutes a “frame of reference”. Within each frame of reference, time passes at the rate of 1 sec/sec. But, when you look at another frame of reference, time appears to pass at a different rate (for it), depending on its velocity relative to yours. So time passes independently for each individual frame of reference.
Post #995310 Back to top ▲
11/2/2013

ImaDummy
From a physics point of view:

Time cannot be considered alone, but only with the three dimensions of space. Likewise, space cannot be considered without including time. (i.e. spacetime)

It takes time for light to travel over any finite distance. When you look at something, it takes time for light to travel from that thing to your eyes. So, what you see is not what they look like “now”, but rather what they looked like (at some point in the past) when the light left that object to go to you. In the case of a star, it may be years, or if it is the person standing next to you, it may be nanoseconds, but the time is not zero.

Each particle or set of particles (distinct in space) constitutes a “frame of reference”. Within each frame of reference, time passes at the rate of 1 sec/sec. But, when you look at another frame of reference, time appears to pass at a different rate (for it), depending on its velocity relative to yours. So time passes independently for each individual frame of reference.
Post #995310
~pw~
2/12/2014     
Member Humming

Does anybody really know what time is?

Does anyone really care?

sorry could not resist
Post #1001373 Back to top ▲
2/12/2014

~pw~
Humming

Does anybody really know what time is?

Does anyone really care?

sorry could not resist
Post #1001373
RunSaber
2/14/2014     

Time is an American weekly news magazine published in New York City. It was founded in 1923. Ancient legends say that reading too much of the curse'd time magazine will brainwash you; turning you into a zombie. Wink

~~~~~~
A day without blood is like a day without sunshine...

~~~~~~
All your ta-ta's and buns are belong to us.

~~~~~~
Thunderclouds do not fear lightning. Hurricanes do not fear wind. To prosper in a turbulent, chaotic marketplace, become the storm.

Post #1001442 Back to top ▲
2/14/2014

RunSaber

Time is an American weekly news magazine published in New York City. It was founded in 1923. Ancient legends say that reading too much of the curse'd time magazine will brainwash you; turning you into a zombie. Wink

~~~~~~
A day without blood is like a day without sunshine...

~~~~~~
All your ta-ta's and buns are belong to us.

~~~~~~
Thunderclouds do not fear lightning. Hurricanes do not fear wind. To prosper in a turbulent, chaotic marketplace, become the storm.

Post #1001442
Blue
6/27/2015     
Time is the stuff life is made of.
Post #1021365 Back to top ▲
6/27/2015

Blue
Time is the stuff life is made of.
Post #1021365
PirateJack
6/28/2015     
Member Time is 10:35 am here.
Post #1021375 Back to top ▲
6/28/2015

PirateJack
Time is 10:35 am here.
Post #1021375
tooldtocare
11/25/2016     

Time will continue for as long as there are those who can count it
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.In my view;.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.,.,.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

How about you

? (:-
Post #1035135 Back to top ▲
11/25/2016

tooldtocare

Time will continue for as long as there are those who can count it
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.In my view;.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.,.,.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

How about you

? (:-
Post #1035135
Columns Display
Show/Hide Columns and Drag the Icon to Reorder
Show rows with value thatAndClear
Export
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna, CarelessWhisper
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by our terms of use, privacy policy and our use of cookies.
©2001-2018 The Pork Community Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Designed, developed and maintained by Cradz.
This site is for adults who wish to chat anonymously with like minded grown ups. There is no advertising, basic membership to this chat site is free and our chat is old school internet 1.0 style free chat rooms. Chat online with people from all walks of life today!